Nothing's as it seems anymore.
She doesn't know what's real and what's not.
He's the only one that can show her, he's the only one that can protect her.
But in a world where the lines are smudged, who really knows what'll happen?

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Entry: 10

(sorry it took so long)


Entry: 10
      - Two Stars Collide

Finnley yelped when she saw a monster that had been haunting her.
   “What-what do you want?” She stuttered.
The tall, skinny Hyven gave her a grin.
   “Just to show you what poor choice in friends you make.”
He made a lunge for her but she quickly ducked and ran past him, but not before his finger snapped her earring, ripping it clean out of her earlobe.
She shrieked as the pain pulsed through her left ear, but that didn’t stop her from running.
   “Oh come on!” The alien yelled as she dashed across the street into a busy section of town.
Her fingers moved rapidly across the key board of her phone.

Finn: S.O.S

Jay: Where R U?

Finn: Mall, heading to the music store.

Jay: K meet U There.

Finn pressed 8-0-1. Activating the alien scanner as she ran from the ghost.
He was right behind her, causing her to run even faster.
   “You can’t hide from us.” He shouted. Finnley glanced over her shoulder as she shoved through the crowds.
   “Why won’t you just leave me alone?!”
She hollered over her shoulder.
   “Because,” She jumped over a trash can as she scrambled through the automatic doors that just wouldn’t open fast enough. “You are just as valuable.” The Hyven yelled after her.
She was even more confused now.
What on Earth does that mean?! She shouted at herself.
Of course she couldn’t answer that, so she focused on running as fast as she could.
She was able to loose the alien in the unusually large crowd.
Keeping the phone scanner on, she figured she would know if him she saw him, but with such a big crowd, she wasn’t taking any risks.
When she pointed her phone at a person, the mini computer scanned that person and told her HUMAN or ALIEN. (obviously the majority was human.)
She only glanced up to figure out where she was.
Spotting the music store on the second floor, she raced up the stairs, two at a time.
Her heart beat was ridiculously fast and she forced herself to breath normally.
Her heart skipped a beat when she noticed the Hyven standing at the bottom of the stairs.
He didn’t make any move or give any signs that he was going to pursue her. And it scared her for a moment.
But what happened next scared her even more.
Jayson called out to her and came running over. The Hyven grew a wicked grin. And suddenly, her right hand that held her phone, started to move on it’s own.

Finnley gasped as she watched her hand move in the direction of Jay.
   “Finn what are you doing?” He asked. Sliding to a halt three yards away from her.
   “Nothing! I’m not doing it!” She cried. She watched in horror as the phone got closer and closer. Jay wasn’t sure what was going on till it was too late.
   Jayson showed up in the phone’s screen. Finnley watched as the scanner decided Jay’s origin. Silently praying that it came out normal.
…ALIEN.

Finn’s eyes grew as big as sand dollars. Her breathing became shallow as her head spun.
Maybe it’s faulty. But she really doubted it.

Jay’s fists tightened till they were white.
She knows.
He was ready to hit something.
   “Jay what-?” She was cut off when her hands started to move again.
And not by her.
Her right index finger reached over to the deadly charm bracelet on her left wrist.
   “Oh no.” She muttered. For a second she could see what was going to happen.
   “Jay…I would suggest that you leave.” She warned, struggling to get control over her arms again.
   “I don’t think so.” Jay said stubbornly.
Finnley groaned as she fought against the will force that was not her own.
   “Why are you so stubborn?! Get out before I hurt you!!” She screamed.
Pure shock showed it’s self on his face. And she knew exactly what was going through his head.
   “You have a lot of explaining to do you man. And I would actually like you to be there for that. But you’re not if he gets you!”
Jay was only inches from her face in just two strides.
   “Guys what’s happening?” Bekah said in a calm voice over the coms.
   “Please.” Finn whispered. Tears falling down her cheeks as her finger got closer, and closer to the charm.
   “Just go.”
Finnley really didn’t want to hurt him. But she couldn’t stop herself. She was painfully aware of a mind in her head that was not her own.
It was demanding her to move as it wanted.
And she knew it involved hurting Jay.
   “Jay get out of here! I can’t fight it. And I swear I would die if I hurt you!”
He caught her gaze and searched her green eyes. He cupped her face in his hands and became very serious.
He better not kiss me! My life is not a movie!! Finnley thought angrily.
   “No.” He whispered. “You can’t fight it…but I can.”
She let out a shaky breath. Her eyes flew wide again. Looking in his, they told her everything. She knew what he had to do in order to get the Hyven out of her head.
He was also asking her.
Asking her two things.
One was as plain as day, the other, she figured, he wasn’t even aware he was asking.

Finnley answered both with one head nod.
Jay rubbed the side of her head with his thumb and took a deep breath.
   “This is going to hurt.” He warned.
She nodded.
   “Just hurry up.”
   “What are you doing?!” The Hyven yelled from the floor below.

By now people were creating a perimeter around Jay and Finn.
And every once in a while, some one would glance their way and smile.
But little did they know, that silently she was screaming, as volts of electricity ran through her head.

Jay was amazed by the fact that she wasn’t screaming.
All she was doing was crying.
His heart broke to hurt her. Especially knowing that he was the one causing her pain. He ignored his tearing eyes as he watched Finnley bite down so hard on her lip, it started to bleed.

However, everyone could hear the tall man at the end of the stairs scream in agony even though no one was touching him.
He finally let go of his hold on Finnley and they both collapsed.
Jay caught Finn and immediately checked her pulse. It was barely there, but it was there.
   “Ok. Let’s get you out of here.” He muttered. He scooped her up and walked quickly to the nearest emergency exit.
Opening it caused the fire alarms to start.
That’ll get everyone out and shake them off our tails. He thought as he stepped out into the two story parking garage. He walked quickly to his red mustang and set Finn down gently so he could open the door.
Once he did, he got Finn’s seat belt on and quickly jumped into the driver’s seat.
   “And now for some where safe.’ He muttered as he drove off.

++++

After the most strangest dreams, Finnley woke up in a strange place.
Looking around wildly, she finally figured out she was in the passenger seat of Jayson’s car.
Looking out the window, she gasped.
They were on the beach.
A silent tear slid down her cheek as she sucked in air.
   “Oh boy.”
She glanced over her shoulder. Smiling slightly, she found Jayson stretched out in the back seat, fast asleep.
   “So I’m not the only one that got knocked out.” She mumbled.
Finn held her stomach as it growled.
   “Ok…time for breakfast?”
Glancing outside she realized that it really was the morning. Of the next day!
   “What is with me? Always loosing time.”
She sighed and glanced back over her shoulder. Spotting the keys in Jayson’s hand she quickly and as quietly as she could, hopped over the seat and crouched down next to him.
Taking the keys slowly from his hand, she let out another sigh.
   “You sure are something Jayson Stone. The one guy that shows a mild Christian interest in me, just so happens to turn out to be an alien…awesome. Typical you Finnley.” She murmured. Moving a strand of hair across his forehead, she bit her bottom lip.
God…You are going to have to be my strength. I know you won’t take me out of these troubles, but would you please just get me through them? I know I can’t make it through life with out you…So let you’re will be done.
As an after thought she added, And with the whole alien thing…um…yeah. Just help me wrap my mind around that. Amen.
   “Well you certainly don’t look like an alien.” She stated, more to herself then the sleeping boy before her.
Jayson’s question came to mind.
   “What does an alien look like?”
   “Like you Jayson…an alien looks like you.” She answered.

Outside, she found that they were on the outskirts of a small, ancient town that had a certain charm to it.
Finding a bakery that just smelled so inviting, she purchased two gooey looking pastries, and two bottles of water.
Walking past the stores that were yet to be opened, she made another mental note to come back and visit when she had the time.
Pausing at the end of the street she looked out at the big blue.
The waves lulling the sand below it as they came gently up onto the shores, the sun was just starting to rise, and it made a picture perfect scene.
A wave of pain washed over her as memories cascaded around her.
   “Oh dad.” She whispered through the flow of tears.

Waking up disoriented, Jay couldn’t figure out where he was. But it all came crashing back down on him as soon as he looked out the windshield.
Scrambling out of the car, he was surprised to see Finnley sitting on the hood of his car, leaning against the windshield with a hot pastry in her hands.
   “Well nice of you to join the living, Doctor.” She stated. Not looking at him, just starring dully at the ocean.
   “Doctor?” He asked as he jumped up next to her.
She nodded and handed him the other pastry and water bottle.
   “Well that’s pretty much who you are right? The mysterious boy whom no one really knows. Showing up right in the nick of time to save the world, or the girl. Mostly both. And then of course there’s the whole you being from another world. All we’re missing is two hearts, a big blue police box, and Rose Tyler.”
She didn’t make eye contact with Jay as she took a swig from her water bottle.
Jayson finished his pastry and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.
   “You mad?” He asked her.
   “A little. Yes.” She answered. Crossing her arms and ankles. She still didn’t look at him.
   “Are you scared?”
Jay expected her now to say bye, pick up her bags and leave him. Not looking back once. Half of him wanted her too. It would be safer for her, the farther away she was from him. The other half couldn’t stand being alone again.
   “No.” Her reply was immediate. Which shocked Jayson.
   “Why?” This young lady astounded, and baffled him.
   “Because…I know you won’t do anything to hurt me. At least not in the long run. I’m ignoring the whole electrocuting-my-brain thing.”
   “Hey it was either that or-”
   “I know. I know. I’m not blaming you, nor am I mad at you for that.”
She said, her voice becoming a little more gentle. Her face became less hard as she fiddled with the hem of the vest she was still wearing.
   “Shouldn’t you be freaking out right now?” He asked. Trying to figure out if she hit her head or something. “Because you’re freaking me out because you’re not freaking out.”
Finnley’s brow furled.
   “Do you know how messed up that sounds?” She asked with a grin.
   “But that’s not the point.” He stated. “You shouldn’t even be here. You should be back home with your mom and Tanya. Where you belong.”
   “Who are you to tell me where I belong?” She challenged. Jay met her gaze with a hard stare.
   “You don’t belong with someone like me. If you stick around they’ll come find you. And in getting to you, they’ll get to me. You’d be a weakness, and besides you’d only slow me down.”
He knew that his words were harsh, not to mention they weren’t true. But he knew that if he wanted to keep her safe, he’d have to hurt her to make her leave.
But what he didn’t count on, was Finn smiling at him.
She reached down and untied her shoes. Kicking them off and along with her socks she jumped off the car.
   “That’s not going to work on me mister. I know the routine.” She shouted over her shoulder as she made her way down to the beach.
   “You can tell me that you hate me, or don’t want me, or that I’m…what ever! But I know you’re lying.”
She said, turning around and giving him a smile.
   “How would you know?” He shouted after her.
   “I can see it in your eyes as plain as day.” She replied.
Jayson growled and tugged off his shoes as well.
Not having to worry about his clothes, seeing as he was just wearing a T-shirt and kaki cargo shorts, he walked out on the beach after her.

Finn took a deep breath of the salty sea air and let the mist moisten her already wet cheeks.
She had forgotten how much she really did miss this place.
Jayson came up next to her silently and she sighed.
   “You can’t stay with me Finn.” He said quietly.
   “And why ever not?” she asked.
   “Because Finn…I’m dangerous. Everyone around me ends up getting hurt in one way or another.-”
   “Jay. I get hurt everyday. Every waking moment there’s always something nagging at the bottom of my heart. I just put on a fake smile and ignore it. That’s what my life has been like sense I was six. So…what’s the difference if I hurt alone and by myself, or with someone who actually knows what it feels like to be hurt?”
Her question hit him hard. Her green eyes pierced gently into his heart and he knew she would find her answer. Whether he gave it to her or not.
He sighed.
   “Finn…I don’t want to be the cause of your hurt.” He turned around and walked down the beach slowly. Trying to force his mind to wind down a notch.
   “But you wouldn’t if you let me stay.” She said quietly with her gaze to the sand below her feet.
Jay came to a stop and shoved his hands into his pockets.
   “And if I didn’t?” He asked. Not turning around.
   “Then…I honestly don’t know how I would survive.” She answered truthfully. “I would probably spend half my time constantly wondering where you were, what you were doing. If you were ok. It would drive me insane. I wouldn’t be me…anymore.”
Jay drew in a shaky breath.
That’s what he was afraid of.
She was as much attached to him, as he was to her. It killed him to think he would have to leave her. He wanted to say yes more then anything. He wanted her to be right there for the rest of her life. Never to leave him, not even for a second.
Of course he knew these thoughts were extremely selfish and wrong.
She wasn’t his. She was the Lord’s.
He had figured she would find a way to live out her life like any other person in the world when he left.
   “Do you really think I can go back?” She asked from behind him. As if reading his thoughts. “Do you really think I can be normal again? After all the things I’ve seen and done? I would only be able to act normal Jayson. But that would be a lie. And I hate lying.” She paused as she wiped the tears away. “What about you?” She asked finally.
   “What about me?” He asked, turning slightly.
   “Will you be able to keep going like this? Moving from town to town, constantly switching your name. If I know you right…this will probably be the last time you go by Jayson…is it not?”
Jay inhaled sharply.
   “Will you be able to live with the question that will always be nagging at the back of your mind? At night it’ll haunt you, and you won’t be able to shake it. No matter how far away you run.”
   “And what question is that?” He dared to ask.
She was quiet for a moment.
   “’Is she ok?’” She whispered.
Jayson groaned and looked up to the heavens.
Why Lord?! Why would you let this happen? What have I ever done but try to please you?! He screamed silently.
Turning on his heel he marched up to Finn till he was only inches away from her.
He didn’t say anything, and neither did Finn.
For a fleeting moment she though he was going to kiss her. Knowing she wanted to only ever kiss her future husband, she figured she had best break the silence. But there was a nagging feeling in the pit of her stomach that she wasn’t sure what it meant.
   “And you won’t be able to answer that question. Not till you see me again.”
He let out his breath that he realized he had been holding. Gripping her shoulders, he rested his forehead on hers.
   “You are really something Finnley Leavenworth.” He whispered.
A small smile reached her lips.
   “So are you.” She replied.
   “Do you really want to go down this road?” He asked, turning serious.
   “If you stay with me you’ll be traveling the country all the time. You’ll change your name so many times you’ll forget your real one. You wont be able to see your mom anymore. And Tanya too. They’ll become a distant memory.”
Finnley took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a moment.
   “I always wanted an adventure. I’m not letting it slip through my fingers now.” She replied bravely.
Jay sighed and moved away.
   “Why?” He asked. “Why would you leave everything you have for an alien? For me?”
Finnley thought about that for a moment before a smile reached her.
   “My daddy always said I was fearless. He said if the right guy came along I’d dance around in a storm in my best dress for him. He said, I would know when that time came, and when I met that guy I would do just about anything for him…Does that answer your question?” She asked slowly. She moved away from him and walked deeper into the ocean. Feeling the waves crash against her legs. She didn’t turn around. She didn’t have butterflies fluttering around in her stomach. Her mind was at total peace. And she knew that was God’s sign for her.
Prepare for a rocky rollercoaster. She told herself.

Jay wasn’t really sure how to respond to that.
Her dad said that?! He couldn’t understand what that all meant. But he knew one thing for sure. She was fearless.
She also lived on a whim.
Jay just sure hoped she knew what she was getting herself into.
   “Are you sure?” He asked again.
Finnley chuckled and glanced over her shoulder.
   “Yup. I’m sure. Believe it or not, but I‘ve been praying about this a lot in the past week…And I know now, this is where I‘m suppose to be.” She answered with a smile.
   “And you do know I won’t be able to save you every single time you get in trouble right? I’m not Superman.”
Finn laughed.
   “I’ve been known to kick butts. And besides, I can usually out smart most people.” She replied.
   “Well…that’s true. You are really annoying sometimes.” He pointed out.
She turned to him with a confused look.
   “Well aren’t you Prince Charming.” She stated sarcastically.
   “I said nothing about charming.”
She scoffed.
   “Yeah, yeah. I hear ya. Crazy kid.” She mumbled.
   “Me? Crazy?!” He asked in fake shock.
   “Yes you. Do you see anyone else on this beach?” She asked with a laugh.
   “No. I don’t. And ok fine. I’ll admit it, I am a little crazy. But where would we be if people weren’t crazy?”
   “See? I was giving you a complement.” She said with a laugh.
Reaching over, he grasped her hand tightly as they both ignored the chill that was slowly creeping up their spines.
   “Can you show me?” She asked after a moment.
   “Huh?”
She gestured to his hands.
   “Please?”
Jay let go of her hand and let his mind go blank. (Which was easier said then done.)
Lightning sparked and flowed up from his hands like flames.
Finn gasped but was wise enough not go sticking her fingers in it. Seeing as she knew first hand what it could do.
   “Oh…” She said quietly. “That’s actually really freaky.”
Jay chuckled and closed his hands, and the lightening disappeared.
   “You’ll get use to it.”
Finn shook her head.
   “No. I don’t think I will.”
Jayson laughed and waved a dismissing hand her way.
   “Whatever.”
   “Can you do anything else?”
He gave her a sly smile.
   “Maybe.”
Her eyebrows rose high. She felt something tug at her mind and quickly tried to keep her rising anxiety in check.
But unlike the other Hyven, it wasn’t controlling her physical body. It was just giving a slight influence to her thoughts. It was like a slight hand touch. She knew it was there, yet it was so light that she had to double check.
It gave her a warm fuzzy feeling and she knew she had to raise her guard, other wise she would do something, very, very regrettable.
   “Right.” She shook her head and started to walk off. “Don’t do that again.” She called over her shoulder.
Jayson chuckled and jogged up next to her.
   “You are extremely sensitive.”
She glared at him.
   “No! not that kind of sensitive. I mean I barely touched you, yet you still knew I was there. It’s a little weird actually…”
   “Huh. Freakin’ Jasper Cullen.” She mumbled.
   “Who?” He asked. Completely lost.
She laughed.
   “Never mind. Come on. We should probably get back. I’m curious to wonder why on earth these Hyven are so interested in me.”
They picked up their shoes and climbed back into the car.

Finnley chuckled and shook her head.
   “We’re on a collision course.” She muttered.
   “Huh?”
   “You and me. We’re on a collision course. Kind of like two stars colliding. There’s going to be a big bang once we hit our marks.”
She had no idea where that just came from.
   “What’s our mark?”
She gave a secretive smile.
   “You’re just going to have to figure that out on your own.”
Jay took his eyes off the road for a moment only to study her face.
   “You know I could make you tell me.” He pointed out.
Finn nodded, but the smile didn’t leave her face.
   “Yes you could. But you wont.” She stated calmly.
   “How would know you know?”
She met his gaze as they stopped at a red light.
   “Because you respect people. And therefore you respect their privacy. So I know you wont.”
Jay’s jaw slacked slightly as she gave him a innocent smile.
When he didn’t say anything, she glanced around her with a confused look.
   “What?” She asked.
   “You have that all figured out huh?” He said finally.
Finn nodded.
Jay shook his head.
   “Sheesh, I’m like an open book to you.” He mumbled.
   “You are an open book to me. But I suspect it’s only me huh?” She piped up.
   “Yeah, It’s really weird actually.”
That made her laugh.
After a few minutes, Finnley came up with another question.
   “Ok, so I have to ask. Are you really from…somewhere else?”
Jay sighed.
   “No.”
   “But I thought-”
   “Yeah I lied. That version of the story is easier to believe then the other version.”
Finn’s jaw dropped.
   “Well what’s the other version then? The real one.”
   “Oh boy…that’s a long story.”
She glanced outside.
   “Well I think we have time.”
   “Little miss Persistence.”
   “Well I have to be if I’m going to get anything out of you.” She pointed out.
   “True. Ok. So let’s see…ok first off. Give me the definition of the word ‘alien’.”
Finnley chuckled. Great. I’m still in school. She thought to herself. But she obliged.
   “Alien is someone who is not native to your homeland…or something like that.”
   “Good enough. Well technically that’s what we are. Sort of. In the seventeenth century people started to experiment. More specifically the Cult.”
   “The…Cult? Oh well gee that’s a lovely name. No one likes them I assume.”
Jayson nodded.
   “Right. But only a few know of them. Even H.U.N.T.E.R doesn’t know about them. But anyways. They were looking for a way to make man immortal. And they did accomplish that. But at extremely steep costs. However, their experiments went wrong, and they developed into more then just immortal men.”
This whole while Finnley was thinking, Oh great! Vampires. Lovely.
   “The men that had been injected with…whatever it was they used, started to learn how to use their full mental capacity. And through that they have-”
   “Super powers.” Finnley finished.
   “Yeah. If you want to call them that. Anyways. So back then when it all began, they were more human like. Their powers were not so strong. But as time passed, they grew more, and more ‘alien’.”
   “Well that’s backwards.”
   “Yeah, talk about it.”
   “So…you’re parents were human?”
   “Uh…more or less. Almost anyone can end up like me. Most everyone has it in their genes now. But in other it’s not as strong. It’s all there, but not everyone can use it. It’s like a box. That’s locked. You have to have the key to open it right?”
Finn nodded.
   “Well that’s how it’s like. You can be human one day, and then suddenly a few weeks, something will trigger it, and suddenly you can do things you never thought possible. Or at least, that’s how it happened to me. However, the box is easier to unlock if one of your parents is a Hyven.”
Finnley raised her eyebrows as she rubbed her temples.
   “That’s…very confusing.” She said finally.
   “Yeah sorry about that. I’ve figured all this out on my own over a span of years. I can imagine it would be a little hard to grasp in a few minutes.”
Finn nodded.
   “Ok, keep going.” She said, taking a deep breath.
Jay glanced at her. She was looking a little pale.
   “You sure?”
   “Yup.” She noticed the worried and concerned look on his face. “I’ll tell you went to shut up. Alright?”
He chuckled.
   “Fine. So…Where was I?”
Finn scoffed.
   “If one of your parents is a Hyven then there’s a good chance you’ll end up one too.”
   “Right! Yeah. Well anyways. So my dad was a Hyven, and that’s how I ended up one.”
   “Oh…weird. So why are you running around all the time. I know you probably think I’m a complete idiot. But ignore that little fact for the time being. Why are you running?”
Jayson chuckled at her rambling.
   “Because I found out who the Cult is. And I might have uh…blown up their main facility.”
Finnley was not expecting that!
   “You’re joking!”
   “No. I did that last year…around mid July. And I’ve been on the run ever sense.”
Finn starred at him, amazed.
Sure she had gone through basic training and all, but she was far from blowing up a building!
She chuckled and looked out the window.
Watching all the people walk by made her think. They were so lucky, they had no idea how messed up this world really was.
She sighed and sunk slightly lower in her seat.
She let her mind lull all these things that had just been explained to her. She couldn’t believe all of this. Her mind was fighting it, but eventually it grew to accept it…At least parts of it.


   “Unnoticed by most, sought out by some.” She didn’t realize that she had actually said that out loud.
   “What?” Jayson asked.
   “Huh?” She wasn’t sure she heard right. Her thoughts were somewhere far away.
   “You just said something. What did you mean?”
Finn’s eyes grew big.
   “Did I just say that out loud?”
Jayson raised his eyebrows and nodded.
   “Yes. Yes you did.”
Finnley smiled as she watched her own fingers fiddle with the hem of her shirt.
   “It was a saying my dad use to say. He’d say it whenever things would get really confusing. I’m still not completely sure what that means, but he says I’ll figure it out when I really need to.”
   “Your dad sounds like he knows a lot of stuff.”
   “Knew.” She corrected.
Jay glanced her way, but then quickly concentrated on getting around the curved road.
   “Um…my uh…my dad died when I was six. We use to live at the beach. My dad taught me how to swim when I was a toddler. I learned to surf when I was five.” A small tear slid down her cheek, even though she was smiling.
   “They use to call me the Little Mermaid…But I haven’t been to the beach sense he passed away.”
Finnley dug through her bag and pulled out a tissue to wipe her eyes with.
   “You didn’t have to tell me that.” Jayson said quietly. He knew how hard it was to bring up people from the past.
   “I wanted to. Though I honestly have no idea why…” Her sentence dangled in the air as she caught sight of something in the mirror.
   “Is that…?”
She turned around in the seat and looked out the back window. She jumped and shrieked when there was a sudden blast and glass shattered everywhere.
  “Get down!”
Finnley leaned forward and cupped her head in her hands. On second thought, she pulled out the ear com and plugged it in.
   “Assassin to base. Anyone there?” She said. Jerking when another shot rang through the car.
   “What are you doing?” Jay asked over the wind and the sound of tires screeching.
   “Getting help!” She shouted.
   “Base to Assassin. Finnley Leavenworth! You are in some big trouble missy!” Finn cringed at Martha’s stern voice. But the fire from a gun behind them was more demanding.
   “Can we skip the pep talk please? We’re in a bit of trouble.”
   “Alright…how much trouble?”
   “Like they owe me a new car! Kind of trouble!” Jayson shouted. Jerking the steering wheel hard to the left to avoid cars that were going to slow, and from getting another hit.
Finnley shrieked again and bit down on her lip as she tried to keep from ending up in Jayson’s lap.
  “Where are you?”
  “I have no clue. I was passed out for a while. Jay?” She realized he was a little busy. “Hang on a sec.”
She reached over on the dash board and pressed the hidden button, the holographic screen came up.
   “You have a password? Why on earth do you have a password?!” She growled in frustration.
Jayson was about to tell it to her, but he was forced to concentrate on getting them out of the situation alive.
   “Never mind. I’ll figure it out on my own.” She said. Reaching forward she quickly typed in a command and she was in.
   “Ok, Martha. We’re on…highway 19. You’ve got to hurry. There’s a lot of people out here.”
   “Alright. A team is on their way to extract you.” 
   “Right.”
Digging deeper into her bag she glanced over her shoulder and found a black SUV to be the source of all the shooting.
Jayson caught on to what she was doing and tried to stay in a line of sight.
Taking out her two pistols out of her bag, she took her seat belt off and aimed out the back, seeing as there was no more glass back there she had nothing to worry about.
Having to adjust with the constant movement, she wasn’t as good of a shot if she had been standing on solid ground.
Finally being able to hit one of their tires, she spun back in her seat and recharged her guns.
   “Martha. How long till that extraction?” She asked.
   “They should be there in twenty minutes.”
Finnley bit her lip and met Jayson’s gaze.
   “Think we can hold on for that long?” She asked. He grinned.
   “Lord willing. Definitely.”
She grinned back and turned around again. Bracing herself between the two front seats to keep from sliding around when Jay suddenly jerked one way or another, she was able to blow out another tire.
   “Uh…” She muttered when what she saw didn’t make sense.
   “Jay?”
He didn’t answer.
   “Jay?”
   “A little busy Finn.”
   “No Jay I’m serious!”
But she knew it would be to late. Spinning around she jerked the wheel hard right and screamed at him to put on the brakes.
There was a hard jerk and Jayson wrapped his arms around her to keep her from hitting something. (But in the process, he ended up with a mouth full of hair.)
The car came to a screeching stop, followed by the sound of metal crashing, and horns blaring.
   “What on Earth did you do that?!” Jayson demanded when she sat up again. She was about to answer when suddenly a huge jerk over came the car and they shot strait up in the air.
Finnley screamed and it took Jayson a minute to figure out, that a helicopter had lowered a magnate that had clamped it’s self on to his car.
   “What is that?” Finn asked. Looking at the claws that had ripped through the canvas roof.
   “That…is our extraction.”
Finn’s eyebrows shot up in surprise and she seemed to relax a little.
But the fight wasn’t over yet.
A sudden vibration rocked the car and a massive groan rang through the silence.
Finnley and Jayson met each other’s gaze with fear in their eyes.
Jay offered his hand and she held his like her life depended on it.
…And…it did.
The groan suddenly stopped, and the whole floor area around her seat suddenly dropped out from under her.
She screamed as she found that she was suddenly dangling out of the bottom of the car with nothing stopping her from hitting the highway two hundred feet below her.
   “Finnley!” Jayson shouted as he laid across his seat and looked down through the hole to see Finn flailing around.
   “Jayson. Please. Please don’t let go. Don’t let me go.” The tears was making her make-up run, (not like either of them cared) and her eyes were pleading, and praying.
   “I won’t. I won’t let you go.” Jay said. Straining to keep a firm grip on her sweating hand.
   “I don’t want to go yet. Not today.” She said to God. “Please don’t make me go.”
   “You’re not going anywhere Finn. I’ve got you.”
Her eyes opened and he saw just how scared she was. Jay was praying for all he was worth that she wouldn’t die today. Or any day! But especially not today.

Glancing down Finn saw the Hyvens standing around their car. They looked eager for her to fall and she suddenly realized what was going on.
Looking back up at Jayson, and then studying the bottom of the car she saw a crack creeping around his side of the car.
   “Oh no.” She whispered.
Her weight was causing it. And she knew that the Hyven’s down there would be eager to get both of them in one event.
She couldn’t let that happen.
Coming to terms with her fate she knew two things could happen. And both were equally scary.
Looking back up at Jayson, she knew he could see what she was thinking.
   “Don’t you dare.” He shouted at her.
A sob broke out from her lips as she realized she had so many feelings she wanted to figure out.
   “I’m sorry.” She replied.
Jayson reached down with both hands and got a better grip.
   “You are not dying today.”
   “Philippians 1:7.” That was the last thing she said before she went limp.
   “No! Finn don’t! I can’t live if you aren’t here!!”
More sobs escaped from her as she gazed into the eyes of the only boy she ever liked.
Right then she realized it was more then that. It wasn’t just a simple crush that would be gone.
Remembering the moment on the couch in the lounge room at Headquarters, the feeling they both had. She knew it was much, much deeper then words could express.
God had worked at sewing their hearts together ever sense she had first noticed him at the running track. And only now, while she knew she was going to die, did she realize how much he actually meant to her.
   “If you die today,” He said, tears rising in his eyes. “I’ll die too.”
   “Philippians 1:7 Jayson…I’m sorry…It’s the only way.-”
   “No it’s not!”
She gave him a sad smile.
   “Yeah it is. If we both fall, they win.” She gestured to the Hyvens below them.
   “Keep strong Jay,…it’ll work out in the end.”
Her hand slipped a little more, and Jayson tried his best to keep a grip on her.
   “No. No. No. No.” He muttered. “This is not happening.”
   “I’m sorry.”
Going completely limp, she was dead weight. And that weight caused Jayson to loose his grip on her hand.
  “Finnley!!” He screamed.
She didn’t move. She didn’t flail about. She just starred back at him with sweet green eyes for a split second.
She saw the anguish in his icy-blue, screaming eyes. This was the first time she had ever seen him cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment